Monday, June 2, 2014

52 Ancestors - Week 23 - Wettenhall Warner 1736 - 1819

This is not a proven relative. Wettenhall Warner might be my 5th great grandfather but he is on the other side of the 4th great grandparents that I am having trouble proving. He was the husband of Elizabeth Sarah Cargill, one of the relatives on the way back to the Mayflower.

Wettenhall has a stellar history. He was an Irish immigrant. Although there is no military history, he was the Justice of the Peace in Orangeburgh, South Carolina during the Revolutionary War. And there's a tasty tidbit about him possibly related to Pocahontas. This is how family rumors are started but this can never be proved. My cousin has a much more interesting family that I have and I would love to tell her that I am related to Pocahontas. I need a feather in my cap (pun intended).

His father-in-law left him land in his will and it appears the family was well-to-do. They were also deeply religious and were the founding members of the oldest Baptist Church in South Carolina.

2 comments:

  1. Go ahead and add that Feather to YOUR Cap! If you can't prove it to be SO, it goes to say that your cousin or anyone else can't say it AIN'T SO!!!! Don't you just love 'Family Hearsay'? Sure makes for a good story.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I love your way of thinking! Maybe I can turn it into a short story and create another source to add to the bogus verification. I mean, it you say it enough, it must be true!

      Delete