Friday, April 4, 2014

D is for Don Carl Yeakley - Uncle Don

Of all the Yeakley boys, I think Uncle Don was the best looking. He had sort of the James Dean look.

He was born in Olney, Texas on June 12, 1915 and died at the age of 79 on April 18, 1995.



He married Vivian Mae Crawford when they were both 19 and had a long, successful marriage. They had two children. My cousin Don and I used to get together when he came to California on business.

My best memory of Uncle Don was when he decided to be our getaway driver after my first marriage. I still remember him speeding through the streets of Covina, California while our friend tried to keep up with him. They were no match for him.

Aunt Vivian outlived him only four years.

5 comments:

  1. A get-away driver - that's too funny! I'll bet you have many fond memories of Uncle Don and Aunt Vivian.

    MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Writing Tips
    Effectively Human
    Lots of Crochet Stitches


    ReplyDelete
  2. Family histories are always so interesting and so important to pass on. I'm a fellow AZtech minion stopping by to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little stories about people bring them back to life. I think that's the best part of genealogy-- the telling of those stories that fill in that dash on the headstones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never come across the term getaway driver before nor of being pursued by a friend after your wedding. It is lovely to remember how relatives intersected with your lives, it really helps to bring them to life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you're doing a person a day. I can't wait to read more about your Jones'! :-)

    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete